Saturday, August 11, 2007

Papa Tries Agriculture


So I purchased one small tomato plant at Lowes in late March to see if I could actually grow something. Not since Dad made me hoe the back forty had I tried to grow anything except grass.



I planted the sprig in a pot on the deck, bought some tomato fertilizer and settled back to reap the bounty later that summer.



Little did I know that the plant would turn out to be something out of The Little Shop of Horrors! It demanded water and when temperatures increased to summer digits, it demanded water at least two times a day or it would flop over in despair with its little leaves cringling up in protest.




Finally, in July, we were able to pick a few of the fruit. Judy did the honors as I was afraid of the Illegal Tomato Pickers Union and their enforcers. Like this guy. I mean, what did we know about harvesting tomatos? We were trying to do the work Americans don't or won't normally do.

All went well until the beach vacation. The heat was just too much for the plant and, as of this writing is just sort of hanging on by a stem.





On the bright side, look at that corn plant! It just sprang up out of nowhere. It wasn't planted by us but it is near the bird feeder so you can draw your own conclusion as to how it got there. No ears yet, not even a tassle but boy does it ever grow.


Next year I'm trying two tomato plants.

No comments: