Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Reunion in Wichita

My uncle Bill (Willis) died earlier this year and his family had a private service in Atlanta. This month, they had a memorial service in Wichita near his ancestral home and I, along with my siblings were able to attend. As these things go, it was an opportunity to get together which we don't do enough.

Uncle Bill was a hero to me growing up and still is today. When Tom Brokaw called his generation the "best" I couldn't disagree. Bill, my own dad and millions others went off to fight a nasty and long war, won it, and then came home (the lucky ones) to put their lives back together. No whining, no complaints, just did the job and went on with life. We could sure use a few of million of them for this war.



The gathering allowed us to see my cousins which we only do at funerals but always vow to do at other times but don't. Ken lives in Houston, Kay in Dallas, and Donna in Atlanta. Wish I could see them more often.


My brother, Doug and sisters Sue and Sally were there as well. We took the opportunity to celebrate Sally's birthday and get aquainted with Sally's granddaughter, Charis. What a doll!










No comments: